Friday, August 25, 2006

It's Over

8/24/2006 1:30 PM

Dear friends,

I have just returned, alone, from the veterinarian's office.

Frisco began having a major seizure at 11:45 Central Time this morning. I called my vet, and she confirmed that it was time. I called and caught my roommate at her desk just as she was leaving for lunch. She came home immediately to help me, as I was in no fit state to drive. With great difficulty, I lifted him to carry him to the car. He was scared and upset, and continued convulsing as we made our way to the Austin Veterinary Hospital.

The staff were well-prepared and very professional. We were immediately taken to an exam room and given a few minutes to say good-bye. I thanked Frisco for the years of joy he brought to my life, then knocked for Dr. Besch to come in and perform the injection. He was not actively writhing as long as I kept a soothing hand on his shoulder, but his muscles were tense and his eyes were wild and afraid.

Then, at once, he relaxed. It took a while for his heart to stop beating, and I held him and stroked his silky fur until it did.

I am going off to be alone for a while now, and then I'm sure I will grieve as I deal with all life's stresses: by writing.

Thank you all for your kind words and advice over the past few weeks.

Sincerely,

Robert

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home